Ⅰ: Purpose of the association
- aitaiJapan is a volunteer based association.
- The purpose of the association is to promote and encourage independent tourism in Japan and to develop a better means of mutual understanding of each others cultures and ways of thinking between foreign visitors and the Japanese people or people living in Japan.
Ⅱ: Conditions of membership
- All Japanese nationals or non Japanese nationals with a permanent residence in Japan of 20 years or older can become a regular member of aitaiJapan.
- aitaiJapan membership is free of charge.
- The main application procedures can be conducted online.
Ⅲ: Guide activities
- Guides are free to assume guide activities.
- Guides can perform guides activities starting from a few hours to several days according to the demand of the foreign visitor and the availability of the guide.
- The main function of the guide is to give basic guide-interpreter assistance to visitors such as accompanying the foreign visitors to tourist spots, to provide practical help and information regarding public transport, booking, shopping, food etc. or to give advice regarding particular Japanese situations and customs (e.g. how to behave in temple, onsen, ryokan etc.) The guide should be open minded and be able to maintain easy conversations about intercultural topics or daily life issues.
- Guides are not expected to give professional tour guide services such as providing detailed information about historical, architectural or art related issues.
- Guides are not expected to accompany foreign visitors to remote areas unless the guide agrees to do so.
- All guide activity should be based on mutual agreement between the visitor(s) and the guide!
Ⅳ: Guide status and compensation
- Members of aitaiJapan are volunteer members and have no proper duty to perform guide activities, but also cannot claim any right to perform those activities.
- The guide will not receive any financial compensation for guide activities, but the foreign visitor will be requested to cover all expenses for the guide during the guide activity including commuter fee to the meeting place and back home.
- The guide is not allowed to do any tourism related profit making business with foreign visitors introduced by aitaiJapan.
Ⅴ: Guide selection procedure
- Guides can be chosen freely over the aitaiJapan webside (www.aitaijapan.com)
- The anonymity of the guide can be preserved if the guide desires to do so.
For detailed information about the guide selection procedure, please consult our homepage.
- After being contacted by a visitor the guide is free to answer to the request. If the guide agrees to assume the guide performance, a positive answer should be given within two days. If the guide doesn’t want to assume the guide performance he/she can ignore the request.
- The guide’s email-address is not visible to the visitor, so that discretion can be preserved.
- In case of agreement between the visitor and the guide, guide activities can be conducted freely.
- The guide is asked to hand in a small report after each guide activity for statistical purposes.
The report form can be downloaded online or provided by aitaiJapan.
- aitaiJapan does not take any responsibility for accidents or other unforeseen incidents during the guide activity or in case of disagreement between the guide and the foreign visitor!